Hamburger Minestrone Soup (South Beach Diet)
photo by Lorrie in Montreal
- Ready In:
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (less than 10% fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained (no sugar added)
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage (I use bagged coleslaw salad mix to save time)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or canneloni or great northern beans, no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Brown beef ovr medium heat in a 6-quart soup pot and drain (rinse in hot water, drain, and return to pot, if desired).
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 5 more reviews