Ham, Cheese, Spinach and Potato Bake
- Ready In:
- Using a skillet, melt your butter. Add the flour and the milk.
- Cook until sauce thickens; remove from heat.
- Add eggs, cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
- In another skillet, sauté the onion in some butter (I use about 1 tsp).
- When onion is cooked, add the frozen creamed spinach (I microwave the spinach first for a couple of minutes to speed up the process).
- In a casserole dish, layer half the ham, then half of the shredded potatoes and half of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat until all is used.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for about 46 minutes.
- Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was pretty good, and pretty heavy. I read the other reviews regarding the amount of cheese, but I figured hey you can never have too much cheese! Yeah, you can. I think probably a 12 oz package would suffice. My cheese sauce came out pretty gummy in the skillet, but spread ok. I did have to sub: 1-12 oz 4 cheese blend and the remaining 12 oz of a mix of cheddar and mozzerella. The recipe called for 1 bag frozen hash browns, didnt say to thaw or not, so I partially thawed so I could get it apart enough to layer. My hash browns were the cubed kind with the onions and peppers in them (O'Brien). I baked for the 45 minutes and it was hot and bubbly but the potatoes were not done, (maybe the shredded potatoes cook faster). I served it as soon as it came from the oven and it oozed liquid. I should have let it sit a while first to set up. Anyway, we'll have lots of leftovers. I'll see tonight how it set up in the fridge. I also did as others, layerd ham, potatoes, cheese, cream mixture in the middle, etc. I really liked the spinach in this. Instead of making this again, I will probably incorporate the spinach sauce into my favorite ham and potato recipe.
This is a very tasty recipe and a good use for that leftover holiday ham. I too, used less cheese in the sauce. Also, the recipe didn't specify where to put the spinach/onion mixture. I layered ham, potatoes, cheese sauce and then put all the spinach in the middle. Then added the last layers of ham, potatoes and cheese sauce. Very tasty and rich! Thanks for a great recipe.
Delicious casserole! I cut quite a bit of fat from this by using fat-free hash browns, frozen chopped spinach rather than creamed, and skim milk in the bechamel sauce. I also used "egg-beaters" rather than whole eggs. I only used about 12 oz. cheddar cheese, since that was all I had, and I felt it was enough. I think the directions were a bit disjointed. I cut some steps by adding the spinach and onion to the cream sauce. I layered ham, potatoes, cheddar cheese, then half the cream sauce, then repeated. Delicious and easy casserole.