Ham and Potato Scones
A breakfast treat you can start either with fresh mashed or leftovers, cook time depends on this.
- Ready In:
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 4 mushrooms, finely diced
- 4 slices ham, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Combine all ingredients except oil. Turn onto a floured board and knead until smooth. Roll out like a large sausage. Cut into 10 slices.
- Heat oil and fry each slice until browned on both sides. Serve with butter for breakfast.
- tasty variations:.
- replace ham with:.
- 1 cup cooked and diced chicken.
- 4 slices bacon, diced and lightly cooked.
- 3 tbsp grated Cheddar cheese.
- replace mushrooms with:.
- 1 tomato, finely chopped.
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced.
- 3 tbsp corn kernels, drained.
- replace onion with:.
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced.
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These were okay, but I think the recipe needs some adjusting. I don't know if my ratio of potatoes to everything else was just off or what, but there was no keeping these together. My best attempt resulted in half the patty remaining whole. I think too that the onion would be better if it was fried before adding to the potato mixture. The flavours were good and it was nice to have potatoes for breakfast.Reply
These are delicious! I halved the recipe and used 1 T of olive oil (maybe a little more) to fry them in. I made mine into the shape of a potato pancake. You do have to handle them carefully when turning to make sure that they don't fall apart. These would be great with a variety of meats and vegetables as suggested by the chef. I had mine for lunch. I will be having the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow with some toast. So good! Thanks for sharing.Reply