Ham and Potato Au Gratin, Make Ahead
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Looking to make a casserole for Sunday Supper and clean out the frog at the same time!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 4 yukon gold potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, set aside until baking process
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, set aside until baking process
- Clean potatoes and pat dry. Place on microwave safe plate and microwave 5-10 minutes, or until soft to the touch. Set aside.
- Wash and peel carrots. Grate and set aside. Slice onion very thinly.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter with olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced onion, shredded carrots, and minced onions and minced garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onion is clear. Watch carefully, but stir only at end of sauté.
- Lower heat to medium-low, and stir in spices. Stir for a minute then stir in flour. Stir an additional minute to cook the raw taste out of flour. (can use 1 T cornstarch instead of flour.).
- Add milk to onion mixture, slowly bringing sauce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Turn heat to low and add cheese. Stir until combined, then turn of heat, leaving pan on stove.
- Grease or spray 1 1/2 quart casserole. Thinly slice potatoes, leaving skin on. Place 1/4 potato in dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 cubed ham. Top with 1/4 potato slices. Pour 1/2 sauce over. Continue by toping with 1/4 potato, 1/2 cubed ham, remaining potato slices and cover with remaining cheese sauce. Cover and refrigerate, 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover dish with foil, and bake for 30 minute Remove foil and sprinkle with an addition cup of shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese melted and lightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION