Ham and Chicken Rolls
photo by Fairy Nuff
- Ready In:
- Place one chicken breast between plastic wrap or freezer bags and bash it until it is nice and thin -- repeat with the other breast.
- Mix the pepper, five spice and crushed garlic.
- Sprinkle the mixture over both breasts.
- Roll up one slice of ham and place it on the chicken breast.
- Roll the chicken up firmly and fold the ends under.
- Whisk the egg and milk together.
- Coat the chicken with flour (easiest in a freezer bag) shake off the excess.
- Dip in the egg mixture -- shake of the excess.This step will stop the chicken from separating from the spring roll wrapper.
- Place the chicken "roll" diagonally across the spring roll wrapper. Brush some of the egg mixture on the ends of the wrapper.
- Roll the chicken, tucking the ends in as you roll.
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown and cooked through. Don't have the oil too hot -- otherwise the spring roll wrappers will brown before the chicken is cooked.
- Drain on paper towels and then cut on the diagonal.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with dipping sauces.
- Serve with your favourite sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
How could I not give this delectable recipe anything but 5 stars. Was going to post it only to find it was already here. I have been making this since July 1980 and it has never failed us. The only thing I add is some finely sliced spring onion (scallion) and sometimes a sprinkle of dried mixed herbs as well in the centre with the ham. We serve it with a sweet and sour sauce. Delicious. We normally serve this as a main and allow 1 roll per person served with rice and stir fry vegetables.