Haitian Rice and Beans
A very simple recipe that tastes delicious.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dried red beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 3 scallions or 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- Bring water to boiling. Add red beans and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid, and set aside. Add enough water to bean liquid to equal 2 1/2 cups of liquid. Set aside.
- In a mortar, pound together to form a paste the salt, parsley, scallions, garlic, and rosemary.
- Heat oil and seasoning paste in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Put rice in Dutch oven and stir until well coated with oil. Add reserved liquid and bring to a boil, stirring. Add beans and again bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir, and cook about 5 minutes longer, or until no liquid remains.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation