Gumbo Ya Ya
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 lb andouille sausage, finely diced (or any spicy sausage such as Kielbasa)
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise to get a total of 10 pieces of chicken. Season with Creole seasoning. Measure flour into a large paper bag. Add chicken pieces and shake until well-coated. Remove chicken and reserve the flour.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in very hot oil, remove and set aside. Stir oil remaining in the skillet with a wire whisk to loosen any brown particles remaining in the bottom of the pan. Make a roux by whiskingÂ in 1 cup of the remaining flour and stiring constantly until the roux turns a dark brown. Remove from heat; add onions, celery and green bell pepper, stirring constantly until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer roux and vegetables to a Dutch oven. Add stock to roux and vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add garlic, sausage and chicken. Continue cooking, covered, until the chicken is tender, 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
- Adjust seasonings and serve in bowls over the rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!