Gulai Sayur (Collard Greens Curry Indonesian Style)
This recipe is from an Indonesian market restaurant stall.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 7 shallots, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 Thai chiles, minced
- 1 piece ginger, peeled thinly sliced (3 inches)
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 lbs collard greens, stemmed cut crosswise into 1/2 inch wide strips
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine turmeric, shallots, garlic, chiles, and ginger in a small food processor and puree, adding up to 4 tablespoons water, to form a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Trim tip and root ends of lemongrass stalks and remove tough outer layer. Using a meat mallet, smash lemongrass to ?atten and tie into a knot.
- Heat oil in a 6 quart pot over medium-low heat. Add reserved paste and lemongrass. Cook, stirring often, until very fragrant (10–12 minutes).
- Add sugar, salt, and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add collard greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender (40 minutes). Remove lemongrass and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION