photo by BrotherAdso
- Ready In:
- Bring the water, rose water and sugar to boil, add the saffron, remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix the milk powder, flour, soda, heavy cream well and knead until a soft dough is made.
- Take a teaspoon of the dough, place one cardamom seed in it and make a small ball.
- Similarly make the balls with the remaining dough, and fry them when the ghee is ready until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer into the syrup, which should be quite warm.
- Serve these delicious Gulab Jamuns with hot syrup and garnished with almonds or pistachio.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
While an excellent base for making gulab, this recipe makes the whole thing seem difficult and a little intimidating in terms of ingredients -- for example, cardamon and vanilla work as well as rose and saffron for a good syrup, and any kind of milk will do for the dough (even skim, if you mix in just a little melted butter). Also, there isn't nearly enough baking powder, and the frying is more easily done in cheaper and more veratile peanut oil. But thanks for giving the basic idea to aspiring Indian cooks out there!