photo by Favyd
- Ready In:
- Cut guavas in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Soak the seeds in 1 cup of the water.
- Place the guavas in a saucepan with the remaining water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the guavas are very soft.
- Stir often to prevent scorching and sticking to the pot.
- Strain the water from the seeds-it will be slightly mucilaginous-and add to the cooked guavas.
- Discard seeds.
- Grind the guavas through a food mill and measure pulp.
- Add an equal amount of sugar.
- Mix well and place in a large heavy saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick and a little jelly tested on an ice cube can be lifted off in one piece.
- Remove from heat and beat with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes or until the mixture forms a heavy paste.
- Turn out into a loaf pan lined with wax paper or a square casserole pan lined with wax paper.
- Set in a cool place for 24 hours.
- To store, turn the paste out of the pan and wrap it securely in foil.
- *Fora dried consistency, place the cooked paste on wax paper on a wooden board, cover with cheesecloth and set in the sun for two days.
- Turn the paste occasionally to expost all surfaces to the sun.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great recipe! I wasn't able to find g.paste at our local grocery store so I decided to look it up here. I was a little unsure about it at first since I have never made guava paste before but it was easy and simple and turned out very tasty- I find myself snacking on it now and then.;) I used it to make my Recipe #373650 and still have quite a bit leftover. I used frozen guavas(letting them defrost first). Thank you for sharing this recipe!
I remember my great grandma making this when I was a little kid, and it was always so good! We always ate it with slices of white cheese. Such memories! Well, this was a good first (but not last!) attempt for me. Probably overcooked it a bit because it set rather hard. But still VERY tasty! Made for Susie's World Tour, Team Incredibles.