Grouper in Yellow Curry
- Ready In:
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil or 5 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lb grouper fillet, cut into chunks
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Put the coconut into a blender.
- Cover with water, blend, and let rest for a few minutes. (Hold the top on tight, just in case).
- Heat 2 TBS of the oil in a 12” skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot.
- Dredge the grouper chunks lightly in the flour and cook quickly over high heat until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and beginning to turn brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tumeric, cayenne, coriander, pepper, and salt.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Strain the coconut milk and add the liquid to the onion mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce by about a third.
- Add the fish, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, taste and correct the seasonings, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Realtor in both Louisiana and Mississippi Cooking destresses me.