Ground Beef With Potato Lid
A quick and easy every day meal. Can be frozen with good result. Yoghurt can be substituted with sour cream
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄3 lbs white potatoes, peeled, sliced thinly
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 2 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 ounces tomato paste (1/2 can)
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat yogurt, strained to obtain sour cream consistency
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- boil potatoes in salted water for 10 min, remove.
- preheat oven to 400°F.
- brown beef; season with thyme, oregano, garlic, salt & pepper.
- add onions and green pepper and stir until softened.
- add tomato paste.
in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan assemble dish:
- potatoes + beef mix + potatoes +yoghurt/sour cream + cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minute.
- serve with crusty bread and a salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I just used the idea tweaked to our taste in spicing and it was pretty good. I used organic white potatoes and mashed them with some organic cultured unsalted butter and additional potato water to make them creamy and added grey sea salt, a perfect salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste, regular halal ground beef, spiced up with garlic powder and baharat Middle Eastern spice mix, & same salt. An organic onion but I suggest adding it first and cooking a little before adding the ground beef to the pan as it doesn't cook as well in the way indicated, less organic tomato paste as I used what I had on hand, organic unhomoginised yogurt (just a thin layer), and a salty Arabic cheese with onion seeds which is delicious. We ate this with corn free ketchup and a fresh salad.