Ground Beef Stuffed Green Bell Peppers II - Oven or Crock Pot
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1 lb beef, Ground
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope garlic & herb salad dressing mix
- 1 cup white minute rice, uncooked
- 4 large green peppers, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Brown meat and onion in a large skillet on medium heat. Stir in 1 cup of the tomato sauce, 1 cup of the water and salad dressing mix.
- Bring to boil.
- Stir in rice, cover.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut tops off peppers, remove seeds and cu in half.
- Mix remaining tomato sauce, and water in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking disk.
- Place peppers in dish.
- Spoon meat mixture into peppers, cover with foil.
- Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over peppers before serving.
- Crockpot Stuffed Peppers Ready In: 7 - 9 hours Servings: 4 8 small green and/or red -peppers (tops removed and -seeded) 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen corn 1 lb Ground chuck (browned and -drained) 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce 1/4 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Garlic salt 1/4 tsp Pepper 1 cup Shredded cheese (I use -Cheddar or Swiss) 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup Chopped onion 2 Tbsp Ketchup.
- Wash peppers and drain Combine all remaining ingredients except ketchup in mixing bowl.
- Stir well.
- Stuff peppers 2/3 full.
- Pour 3 Tbsp of water in crock pot. Arrange stuffed peppers in crock pot. Pour ketchup over top of peppers.
- Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or high 3-4 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These turned out very well, and they're quick and easy to make. The seasoning was just right. I'll definitely make them again. I made this dish for my finicky, meat-n-potato-loving, convalescent granny, and she gobbled it up. She said the peppers needed some cheese, though. For seasoning, I used Durkee Grill Creations Italian Herb marinade mix. I wanted to freeze some of the filling, since it made way too much, so I made it with just the beef, rice, and seasonings. I froze half, then stirred some sauce into the rest and stuffed the peppers. To use the frozen filling, I thawed it out, microwaved it, stirred in more tomato sauce, and stuffed more peppers. It turned out just as good as the first batch.
I made the baked version of this the other night and it turned out awesome! For more Italian flavor I added a few links of well drained sweet Italian sausage to the mix as well as some Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning. I had to substitute some crused tomatoes for tomato sauce since I only had 3 8 oz cans and it worked out great! Like some of the others I melted slices of pepper jack cheese on a few and provolone on the others and it browned really pretty and tasted great! Thank you so much for the recipe and I will be making this again - maybe next time with red bell peppers instead of green!