Grits and Bits Waffles
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Can be served plain in the morning or as a base for savory creamed dishes for dinner.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup stone-ground grits (not instant)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 6 -8 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- unsalted butter, softened
- cane syrup or maple syrup, warmed
- In a bowl, stir the flour, sugar, and baking powder together; set aside.
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat; stir in salt, then the grits, whisking constantly until the water comes back to a boil.
- Decrease heat to low, continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until very thick and creamy, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the melted butter and scrape grits into a large bowl.
- Stir in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture, stirring only until combined, followed by the milk.
- The batter should be thin.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer until stiff but still glossy.
- Heat a greased waffle iron; stir bacon into the batter; fold in the egg whites.
- Cook waffles, one at a time, following the directions from the waffle-iron manufacturer; they should be crisp and brown when done.
- Serve with softened butter and syrup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION