Grilled Tomato & Cheese
photo by 2Bleu
- Ready In:
- 8 slices bread (I use 12-grain bread)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1 pound)
- 16 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- On 1 piece of bread, layer a heaping 1/4 cup grated cheese, 4 tomato slices, 4 basil leaves and another heaping 1/4 cup grated cheese.
- Top with another slice of bread, brush with melted butter.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwich, butter-side down, in pan and brush top slice of bread with butter.
- Press with spatula.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and serve immediately.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Note: You could also make this sandwich in a panini grill, omitting the butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I don't think I've ever made a recipe as quickly after finding it as I did this one - and I was not disappointed! This was an excellent sandwich! I had to improvise just a bit to use what I had (yellow cheddar & slices of small tomatoes not large ones). I used spicy globe basil that I grew from seed :) I will be doing this one again for sure! Thanks for the recipe!
see 8 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!