Grilled Red Pepper, Sweet Onion, and Tomato Salad
photo by Starrynews
- Ready In:
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 sweet white onions, cut into rounds 3/4 inches thick (e.g., maui, vidalia, walla walla)
- 4 large tomatoes (approximately 2 lb total)
- olive oil, for coating
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stemmed, coarsely chopped if desired
For garlic-balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat, or preheat indoor electric grill. Oil the grill rack.
- Put bell peppers, onion rounds, and tomatoes in a bowl and coat them with oil.
- Grill peppers directly over high heat, turning to char and blister them on all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper bag, close the bag, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill onion rounds, turning once, until grill marked and partly tender, 2-3 mins per side. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Grill tomatoes, turning often, until grill marked, 3-4 minutes. Dont overcook. Transfer to a cutting board.
- Peel peppers and cut open to remove seeds and stems. Chop peppers coarsely and mound on a platter. Coarsely chop onions; then core and chop the tomatoes and add them to the platter.
- Scatter basil leaves on top of the vegetables.
- To make vinaigrette, combine garlic and vinegar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a delightful salad! The portions are generous - I have leftovers to enjoy tomorrow. Grilling of the onions really brought out their sweetness. The balsamic vinaigrette went wonderfully with the veggies. This will be a new favorite side for grilling season! Thanks for sharing - Veggie Swap 58
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I work full-time as a School Psychologist in Michigan. Besides the kids, one of the best aspects of the job is summer vacation, when I can concentrate on doing more of the things that I like to do---like look up recipes and play games on Recipezaar!!! I married my wonderful and handsome husband, Sean, in August 2007. He is becoming a wonderful gardender and tends to both our veggie and herb gardens. We really enjoy cooking with our own fresh ingredients. We most often cook together, so my reviews typically reflect our joint opinions. He's the better cook, so I pick up a lot of my techniques from him. My other interests include reading (now that I have time), Irish dancing (I've taken a class for the last several years), "appreciating" wine (I use the term very loosely), and listening to and going to see Irish bands (I love the Pogues). I also enjoy travelling, especially around Western Europe, where I have been multiple times. One of my favorite places is Italy, and Sean and I had a great time on our honeymoon eating, drinking, and sightseeing in the Cinque Terre and in Tuscany. This July 2009, we expanded our horizons to Eastern Europe and visited the Czech Republic, Slovenia, and Croatia. Two of my favorite dishes on the trip were Croatian: fish brodet and Hvarska gregada. I am looking forward to trying my hand at making them at home as I see that someone on Zaar, who is Croatian, posted recipes for both! Besides my husband, the other lights of my life are my cats: Chloe, Pip, and my newest ragdoll cat, Giselle, all of whom I absolutely adore. <a href="http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/?action=view¤t=PipChloe_web.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/PipChloe_web.jpg" border="0" alt="Pip and Chloe"></a> <a href="http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/Giselle_zaar.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o388/courjen/Giselle_zaar.jpg" border="0" alt="Giselle"></a> I've participated in the following events: <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt= "Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/Copyofsoybean.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> I most recently had the privelege of being on the ZWT5 Team, the Sultans of Spice, with a great group of people. We came in second place! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src=http://home.insightbb.com/~webdesign5/Logo1a.jpeg>