Grilled Mahi Mahi W. Honey-Macadamia Crust and Pineapple-Ginger
I found this recipe and can't wait to try it. From the West Hawaii Today newspaper. Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby, authors of "Big Flavors of the Hot Sun", suggest serving the fish with coconut rice.
- Ready In:
- 32 ounces mahi mahi fillets, cut diagonally a half-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and crushed
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper, minced (red or green)
- Rub fillets lightly with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place fish on grill over a medium-hot fire; cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- While second side is cooking, coat the exposed side lightly with honey and sprinkle with crushed mac nuts.
- Flip again; cook another minute or until crust is golden brown.
- Check for doneness by cutting into a piece; it should be completely opaque all the way through.
- Remove fish from grill, cut each in half, and serve.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I enjoyed this recipe. It was simple to put together, and I enjoyed snacking on the toasted macadamia nuts before crushing them in the mini-food processor. The macadamia nut crust stuck to one piece of fish, but stuck to the grill or fell through on the other. So I was a bit disappointed with that. The pineapple salsa was yummy%u2026.I used a red chili pepper to add color. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe! Made for ZWT7.Reply
We really enjoyed this dish! But then, what's not to like about mahi mahi. Although we did lose a few macadamias when turning, the honey did a spectacular job of keeping most intact. This is one mighty tasty recipe. The pineapple-ginger salsa was a great accompaniment, though I think it was just a tad too watery. Next time, I will omit the pinapple juice altogether and rely on the lime juice for consistency. Thanks, lazyme. Made for ZWT7, Mischief Makers.Reply
see 1 more