Grilled Chicken Skewers (Anticuchos De Pollo)
- Ready In:
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup mild chili pepper, paste (aji panca, if available)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breast halves (boneless, skinless)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- 15 large mushrooms (whole)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- wooden skewer, soaked in water for 1 hour (15 skewers)
- Mash the garlic with a mortar and pestle or garlic press. Add a little water if necessary to make a paste. Make the marinade in a bowl, mixing the crushed garlic, 1/4 cup of the vinegar, 1/4 cup chile pepper paste, 1 tablespoons cumin, 1 tbsp salt, and 2 teaspoons black pepper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch by 2 inch cubes. Place chicken pieces in bowl with the marinade and stir well. Marinate the chicken at least one hour or overnight in the refrigerator for best flavor.
- Peel the onion and cut into 1 inch wedges. Remove the seeds and the white part of the bell pepper and cut into 1 inch chunks. Place the chicken and vegetable pieces on the wooden skewers, alternating them.
- Make a basting mixture of 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup vinegar and a pinch of cumin.
- Prepare the grill and grill chicken skewers for 5 minutes on each side. Baste several times during cooking.
- Check doneness by cutting into a piece of chicken. If still pink on the inside, continue to grill checking frequently. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the grill and serve with rice and grilled corn on the cob.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!