Grilled Cheese With Caramelized Onions
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons/ 30ml olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 8 thick slices bread
- 1⁄4 cup/ 60ml butter, room temperature
- 2 cups/ 500ml grated aged cheddar cheese
- use Creamy Tomato Soup recipe to serve with grilled cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions until soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the onions to a plate.
- Generously butter both sides of each bread slice. In between two bread slices, pile the caramelized onions between two layers of cheese.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Cook the sandwiches, flipping once, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with Creamy Tomato Soup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!