Grilled Cajun Cheddar Meatballs
photo by Nif_H
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- vegetable cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups mayonnaise
- 6 scallions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3 tablespoons mustard (grainy is best)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- Chop the onion and scallions. Mince the garlic. Remove casings from sausages (if necessary). Cut sausage into chunks and chop finely in a food processor.
- In a small mixing bowl, prepare the remoulade sauce by mixing the mayonnaise, chopped scallions, 3 cloves chopped garlic, lemon juice, mustard, parsley, horseradish sauce, and chili sauce. Whisk well and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and add the onions and 2 cloves chopped garlic. Sautee for about 3 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, milk and Worcestershire sauce. Add the breadcrumbs and cheese and mix well.
- Add the onion mixture, chopped sausage, and ground beef to the bowl, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 8-12 sausage-shaped portions. Insert a metal skewer into each portion so that the tip of the skewer is almost at the top of the meat. Bamboo skewers may be used but should be soaked well in cold water first.
- Prepare a medium-hot grill. Grill skewers for 6-8 minutes, uncovered if using a charcoal grill. Turn gently using tongs to cook all sides.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh my goodness, this was good!! The sauce is very flavourful and would be great with any protein, even a meatier fish like halibut or salmon. I made half the amount of the sauce and it was enough for us. I should have only put one of the "meatballs" on each skewer because it was virtually impossible to turn two of them at the same time. Most of them fell apart but the taste was really great. They were spicy but not too strong and paired so well with the remoulade sauce. We enjoyed these with a fresh salad and some grilled garlic toast. Made for The Tasty Testers. Thanks loof! :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY