Griddled Polenta Cakes With Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, And
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
For the Polenta
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons twisted butter cinnamon, Honey & Brown Sugar Butter
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- honey, to drizzle
- Bring the water, milk, and salt to a boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Turn heat to low, and continue whisking for 5 minutes or until polenta is smooth and creamy. Spread the polenta in a 9x9 baking dish, and set aside to cool.
- While the polenta is setting up, add the butter and olive oil to a heavy-bottomed skillet set to medium-low heat. Add the sliced onions and a sprinkle of kosher salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, golden, and caramelized – about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into another skillet, set over medium heat. Using a 3 inch round cookie-cutter, cut out circles of the firm polenta, and place in the heated skillet. Cook until slightly browned and crusty on one side – about 2 minutes – then flip and cook the other side another two minutes.
- To assemble the polenta cakes, place on a plate and add one tablespoon of caramelized onions to each cake. Then top each with about one teaspoon of crumbled goat cheese, drizzle with honey, and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!