Greg's Shrimp Saganaki
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs extra-large shrimp, uncooked
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (GREEK of course)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 white onions, sliced thinly
- 1 -2 fresh garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- Peel and butterfly the shrimp.
- Set shrimp aside.
- Saute the onions and garlic in 2tsp olive oil.
- Add tomatoes and wine to onion and garlic and cook for 1/2hour over low heat (the longer the better the sauce.
- saute shrimp until just barely pink, add to sauce.
- Add fresh oregano,lemon juice and zest
- Pour everything into baking dish and crumble the feta on top.
- Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes.
Join The Conversation
This was totally delicious! The first time I made the recipe as written, and it was so delicious and immediately inhaled by our guests. The second time I decided to make a little more sauce and just added cream to it...it was already pretty indulgent and a little cream couldn't hurt! I parcooked the shrimp, then later made the sauce and nestled the butterflied shimp into the sauce with their tails up in the air, heated it through in the oven and served it immediately. It was nice to have a beautiful dish I could make in advance and serve when I was ready. Again, it was inhaled. So with guests coming again this week, I'll be making it again, but this time I'll make even more sauce and serve it with either rice or orzo and a simple salad. It'll be the perfect dinner! Thank you Boonyas mom!