Greens With Fruit, Cheese, and Nuts (Mark Bittman)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, Mark Bittman
- Ready In:
- 1 lb fresh pear (can use other fresh fruit or 1 cup dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces gorgonzola
- 3⁄4 cup shelled walnuts
- 6 cups mixed greens, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large shallot, cut into chunks (optional)
- Make the vinaigrette: combine oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender; turn the.
- machine on; a creamy emulsion will form within 30 seconds; taste and add more.
- vinegar a teaspoon at a time until the balance tastes right to you.
- Add in shallot, if using, and turn the machine on and off a few times until the shallot is minced within the dressing; taste, adjust seasoning; serve at room temperature.
- Make the salad: peel and core the fruit; if large, cut fruit into ½ inch chunks.
- Toss the fruit with the lemon juice; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Crumble the cheese into small bits; cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Place the nuts in a dry skillet, turn the heat to medium, and toast then, shaking the pan frequently until they are aromatic and beginning to darken in color, 3-5 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, toss the pears, cheese, and greens together with as much of the dressing as you like.
- Chop the nuts coarsely, sprinkle them over all and serve.
- Other good fruit, cheese, and nut combinations.
- *grapes, parmesan, pine nuts.
- *oranges, manchego, almonds.
- *apricots, goat cheese, pecans.
- *dried apricots, blue cheese, walnuts.
- *cantaloupe or honeydew, cotija, pepitas.
- *blueberries, asiago, pistachios.
- *dried plums, feta, hazelnuts.
- *dried pineapple, Brie, cashews.
- *peaches, ricotta salata, pecans.
- *plums, fontina, almonds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION