Green Peas and Dumplings
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a nice little southern dish--great comfort food. You may use homemade drop dumplings in place of the canned biscuits if you wish. Prep time will be longer with the fresh peas and dumplings.
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs fresh green peas (frozen is fine)
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated biscuits
- onion salt
- Shell and wash peas; drain.
- Combine water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add peas and simmer 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Stir the sauce into the peas.
- Top with biscuits and sprinkle lightly with onion salt. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until the biscuits are done.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Thank you for a return trip to my childhood. My gramma used to make this all the time when we were growing up. It tasted just like I remembered. I didnt have evaporated milk so I just used regular milk, which is how I remember my gramma making them too. Turned out great! Thanks for sharing a long ago favourite.Reply