Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Posting for safe keeping. This sounds absolutely delicious. The prep & cook time doesn't include the 8-24 hour refrigeration time needed.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb tomatillo, husks removed, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 fresh pablano chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 72 inches corn tortillas, halved
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup mexican style shredded cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- Preheat broiler. Lightly coat a 2 quart square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil. Place tomatillos in baking pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened and charred, turning occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chile pepper; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and onion starts to brown.
- In a blender or food processor combine tomatillos, onion mixture, the ¼ cup cilantro, the sugar, cumin, and salt. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping and scraping sides as necessary.
- Spread ¾ cup of the tomatillo mixture in the prepared baking dish. Arrange 6 tortilla halves over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with 1 cup of the chicken, ½ cup of the cheese, and half of the remaining tomatillo mixture. Add six more tortilla halves, the remaining 1 cup chicken, ½ cup cheese, and half of the remaining tomatillo mixture. Top with the remaining six tortilla halves and the remaining salsa, spreading to cover.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours (up to 24).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION