Green Beans With Tomato, Onion and Bacon
I know there are plenty of Green Bean recipes but I couldn't help posting this one because it is a little bit different from the rest.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (uncooked, reserve 1 Tbsp. of fat after cooking)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (roma is great)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or omit juice and pepper and use 1/4-1/2 tsp. lemon- pepper) or 2 tablespoons lime juice (or omit juice and pepper and use 1/4-1/2 tsp. lemon- pepper)
- In a 2 quart saucepan, add green beans in enough water just to cover them, and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Drain and immediately rinse with cool water to stop cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Stirring frequently.
- Reserve 1 tablespoons of bacon fat and drain off the rest and place bacon on plate covered with paper towels.
- In the same skillet add onion and 1 tablespoons bacon fat and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Stir in tomato, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper into onions and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green beans and heat through.
- Add bacon and stir to blend.
- Transfer mixture to serving dish and drizzle with lemon or lime juice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION