Green Beans With Stewed Tomatoes & Bacon
A flavorful side dish with green beans, sautéed onion, tomatoes and bits of bacon. There is a hint of sweetness due to the sugar that is used to make Stewed Tomatoes.
- Ready In:
- 3 (15 ounce) cans French style green beans, well drained
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Sauté bacon in skillet until crisp; remove bacon and place on paper towels. Leave 1 T. bacon fat in sauté pan.
- Chop onion and sauté over low heat in reserved 1 T. bacon fat. Salt the onion (brings out the moisture) and cook about 5-8 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Place tomatoes and their juices in a large pot – break up large pieces of tomato. Add drained green beans and sautéed onions. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add crumbled bacon and fresh ground pepper; stir and serve.
- Hint – if you don’t have Stewed Tomatoes, you can use Petite Diced Tomatoes, Italian Style, and add 1-2 t. sugar.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION