Green Beans With Orange Essence and Toasted Pecans
photo by john.bisso
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2⁄3 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- salt & pepper
- Toast pecans in 12" non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in maple syrup, 1 tbsp butter, and 1/8 tsp salt. Stir constantly until nuts are dry and glossy, then transfer to plate and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, orange zest, and pinch of cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes or until shallots are softened. Stir in flour until combined, then add green beans. Add chicken broth, orange juice, and sage. Increase heat to medium-high, cover, and cook until beans are crisp-tender (about 4 minutes).
- Uncover and cook about 4 minutes, until beans are tender and sauce has slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 30-something mom with a full-time job and a houseful of pets. I'm in FL, but have family in CA, PA, and Europe. In that oh-so-rare free time, I enjoy reading, watching movies, or rubber stamping. And, of course, cooking!