Green Beans and Sweet Red Bell Pepper Salad
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (good quality!)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked green beans, quartered (or frozen green beans)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, membranes removed, and diced
- 2 -3 green onions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 serrano chili, seeded if desired and minced (can use pickled serrano if you wish)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, coarsely shredded (or any crisp similar textured lettuce such as Romaine)
- 1⁄2 cup Spanish olives with pimento, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, sliced into crescents
- Prepare the salad dressing by combining the red wine vinegar with the salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Best prepared 2-3 hours in advance to allow the ingredients to marinate.
- Cook the green beans until tender crisp and green beans are still brightly colored. To halt cooking, rinse and drain immediately under cold water. Set aside.
- Combine the green beans in a mixing bowl with the diced bell peppers, green onions, and serrano chile.
- Pour the marinated salad dressing over the vegetables and toss lightly to coat.
- Line a large serving platter with the chopped lettuce then arrange the vegetables on top. Garnish with the sliced green onions and the sliced red onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Hey, the kids & I loved this! Of course, dh hates green beans anyway, so his vote doesn't count. ;) I was soo happy to find a recipe that I had the ingredients for, lol. I did sub shallot for red onion & I think it's a fab sub. I did use frozen beans, nuked until just tender then stuffed into the freezer until COLD. Worked like a charm. I can't wait for summer to use real green beans. ;) Made for the Kitchen Witches, ZWT5!