Green Bean Fries With Spicy Mayo
photo by rosie316
- Ready In:
- 3 cups vegetable oil (or canola oil for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle chile, chopped
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces green beans, stem ends trimmed
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer (oil temp will drop slightly with addition of green beans -- maintain at 350 degrees F). Reduce heat to low if it gets too hot.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and chipotle in a small bowl; set aside. Mix 1/2 cup flour; the cornmeal salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Put remaining 1/2 cup flour in a second bowl and buttermilk in a third bowl.
- Working with about 10 beans at a time, dust beans with flour, dip in buttermilk, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, breaking clumps apart as needed.
- Carefully drop beans into hot oil, turning to keep them from sticking. Fry beans until golden brown, about 3 minutes, increasing or reducng heat as needed to keep oil at 350 degrees F. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to a tray lined with paper towels. Serve with spicy may on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these tonight for hubby (since I do not like or ever eat beans). Tonight was an exception. I was on speaker phone with my GF while making them, and she kept telling me to try one... so I did. The next batch, I tried another... and so on... and so on. LOL. Long story short... you have a winner here! I won't compare them to TGI FRidays, but the coating cooks up perfectly! I did a sacraficial bean and my oil was too hot (no thermometer). Next one I ate needed a tad more salt. I used haricot verts, and it worked out beautifully. I plan to use this coating on a zucchini sitting on my counter. I did add a bit more salt. These were really good (and I do not like or eat beans, but these I really liked). Hubby scarfed most of them down so fast when I would take a batch out, I was lucky to save a few for me to get a picture! Thank you for posting and for converting me into a bean eater. (Made for PRMR)