Green Bean and Pearl Onion Casserole
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A holiday green bean casserole with onions and mushrooms without the traditional cream of mushroom soup.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups assorted wild mushrooms, sliced (such as oyster, cremini and shiitake)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 (3 ounce) can fried onions
- Blanch the green beans and pearl onions by placing them into a large pot of rapidly boiling water.
- Cook them for about 2 minutes, until the green beans have brightened in color.
- Remove the vegetables from the boiling water with a strainer then plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Drain them, then remove the skins from the onions and set aside.
- Coat a skillet with olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Sweat the garlic and shallot down until they caramelize.
- Add the bay leaves then the assorted mushrooms.
- Stir to combine, season with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Sprinkle the mixture with flour to tighten up.
- Add the milk and boil for 3 minutes to thicken.
- Place the green beans and pearl onions in a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Pour the “mushroom soup” over the vegetables.
- Toss to make sure the vegetables are well coated.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Top with fried onions and continue to bake for 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION