photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 175 g macaroni
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 175 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150 ml natural yoghurt
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/Gas mark 4.
- Cook the macaroni as pack instructions until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, fry the minced beef and onions until brown. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and seasonings. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Blend in the milk and bring to the boil, still stirring. As soon as it thickens remove from the heat. Be careful not to burn it. Stir in 100g of the cheese, the yoghurt and the beaten egg.
- Combine the macaroni and minced beef mixture and put into an ovenproof dish. Pour over the topping and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. Stand for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow the topping to firm up.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Awesome recipe angellore. This Pastitsio was delicious. Perfect flavor and texture. It was so good, we couldn't stop eating it, I wouldn't have believed it, but the dish was even better the next day. Thank you so much for sharing this treasure. It was quick and easy to make, the spicing was spot on, all the flavors blended together beautifully creating a wonderful meal. Takes comfort food to the next level. Made for Pac 2011.