Greek Oregano and Lemon (Abm)
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 1/2)
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour (1 2/3)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (1/2)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (1)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (2 teaspoons)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated (1)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (2 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (2)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (1)
- Add first nine ingredients to bread machine in the order recommended by its manufacturer.
- Process on the basic bread cycle.
- When the bread cycle completes, brush the lemon juice on top of the bread while it’s still in the machine.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a lovely and flavorful bread! Like another reviewer I added the lemon juice to the dough instead of brushing it on top. I made the dough with a stand mixer and baked in the oven after 2 rises (one in the bowl and one in the loaf pan). This bread also has a delightful soft texture and smelled so good while baking. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers
Made for a fellow Goddess of ZWT-9 & for Family Picks. Each time I make 1 of your ABM bread recipes, I am sure it cannot be better than the last I made & then it is. I had already swooned over the aroma & warm from the ABM taste test when DH came thru the front door of our condo & said: "I smell something wonderful!" He walked into the kitchen, grabbed 1 slice of the bread I had waiting for him & said: "Yeah, I was right! It is wonderful!". He grabbed a 2nd slice & walked toward the computer rm w/a slice of bread in both hands & a smile on his face. Then he turned toward me & said: "Tell her thx for sharing her recipe w/me!" - From a cook viewpoint, I esp appreciate that you gave ingredient amts for the sml & lrg size loaves as there are only 2 of us & some recipes overflow my ABM. Thx again.
Awesome. That said, I sometimes get ahead of myself (as I did with this recipe) and put the lemon juice right on in the bread!!! It tasted just like sourdough and was lovely! Very light and airy, cooked on light cycle. Made the smaller loaf which is perfect for sandwich size. I used fresh oregano from the garden (as we are at the end of the growing season here in the Midwest and this is probably one of my last chances to use it this year) so I doubled the amt the recipe called for and wished I would have added even more! Thanks so much for posting girlie! UPDATE: we are on day 3 now and the bread is still moist and wonderful. Great for sandwiches or for toast in the morning.