Greek Meat Sauce (Kima)
- Ready In:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Fry onion and garlic gently in oil or butter until onion is transparent.
- Increase heat and add ground meat.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until juices evaporate and meat begins to brown.
- Lower heat, and add remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste.
- Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking Greek, but I have an American cookbook from the late 30s that I simply love. My Greek cookbooks are important to me since for many years the Greek ladies did not openly share their recipes. Their secret ingredient was coveted and they actually waited for the compliments. It took hours to prepare, so praise was important. Every holiday was a real focal point in my life because it involved the entire family and wonderful food. I love being served something that is fantastic and getting the recipe for it. Making friends feel special in my home is very important to me. <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>