Greek Koufeta (Wedding Almond “taffy” from Cyclades Islands)
- Ready In:
- Pour the honey, brandy, and orange blossom water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir, reduce the heat, and gently boil until the mixture is the color of burnished mahogany and spins off a spoon, 240°F on a candy thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the almonds and bring to a boil again. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool until it is no longer bubbling. Turn it out onto a large plate, allowing the almonds to spread out evenly. Cool until the mixture is thick enough to spoon up in “globs,” several hours or overnight.
- To serve, offer each diner a clean spoon or knife as you pass the platter of koufeta around. Each person slides the knife or spoon into the taffy and spins the implement until a scoop of the koufeta takes hold. The koufeta is then eaten off the knife or spoon. Serves 10 to 20.
- NOTES: Koufeta will keep, covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Some villages add a little toasted sesame seed in the koufeta mixture or sprinkle it on top once the mixture is poured onto the platter.
- Adventures in Greek cooking.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!