Greek Doughnuts (Svinghi )
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is an authentic and easy to make Greek dessert or snack. The best part is that it is made from common ingredients that should be easy to find anywhere
- Ready In:
- olive oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cinnamon (for sprinkling on top) (optional)
- Place butter in a small saucepan.
- Add water, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and orange rind.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add all the flour at once.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cook, stirring until the mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a ball that does not separate.
- Remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition till smooth.
- Drop dough from a teaspoon into plenty of hot olive oil.
- Cook over a moderately slow heat only as many doughnuts at a time as will float easily in the oil.
- As soon as doughnuts rise to surface, turn with a long handled fork or slotted spoon.
- Turn often until golden colored.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to drain oil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Prepare syrup: Boil 2 cups sugar, 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice for 10 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over doughnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Best served warm but room temperature is OK.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more