Greek Chicken Rice
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (cut in pieces)
- 3 large onions
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 500 g feta cheese
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 eggs
- 8 1⁄2 fluid ounces chicken broth (1 glass)
- Put enough water in a pot and boil the chicken pieces with the onions unchopped. Boil until chicken is tender. Take off the chicken and the onions and reserve the broth for later use in the recipe.
- Place in a casserole dish the onions cut them in large pieces. Then add feta crumbs,the parsley and the rice. Mix well.
- Put on top the chicken and 1.5 cup of chicken broth. Add the butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 200°C - (350F).
- Mix the eggs with the remaining chicken broth and add them to the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes more at the same temperature.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I can't believe that I forgot to rate this! I made it for the first time months ago, and am about to make it again. It is SO good! I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and added some cloves of garlic. Like some others suggested, I used a bit more rice, and it came out simply wonderful. Make sure to use a good quality feta cheese, as the flavor will make all the difference. Thanks for a great recipe, katia!!
This was nice--a little more watery that I would have guessed, but now looking at the photos I see that it pretty much turned out the same as the others! I went the butter route, and it offered a nice creamy flavor to the base. Like others, added a few cloves of garlic, and in the future I think that I'll add just a bit more rice :) Thanks for posting, Katia!
I made this recipe for PAC Spring 2008. I followed the recipe exactly as written, using the olive oil option, and I added a couple of cloves of minced garlic, as suggested by another reviewer. I really enjoyed the feta in this dish and even my son, who doesn't like feta or eggs, ate it all up. I will definitely be making this on a regular basis. Thank you Katia for sharing your authentic Greek recipes.