Greek Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 cups vegetable stock or 8 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (optional)
- 1 large boiling potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon table salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, parsley, marjoram, and rosemary and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, barley, carrots, if using, potato, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is nearly tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add the milk and heat through.
- Remove from the heat.
- Gradually stir 1 cup of the soup into the egg yolks, then stir the yolk mixture and parmesan into the soup.
- Return to low heat and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!