Grecian Meatloaf Gyros
I really tasty gryo with tzatziki sauce. Cooking/preparation time does not include 2 hours of refrigeration time for meatloaf.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 whole gyro-style pita bread (6 inches)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomatoes
- 8 slices sweet onions, halved
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- Pat into an ungreased 9-x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm.
- Cut meatloaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meatloaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- On each pita bread, layer tomato, onion and meatloaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce.
- Carefully fold pitas in half.
- Serve with remaining sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I was also surprised that the meat loaf needed no filler. I was also a little bit anxious about the amount of oregano. But everything was perfection. We love tsztziki sauce and I always have to make more than called for. This was so, so good. Thnx for posting, Sassy, will definitely have this again. Made for My-3-Chefs 2008.
LOVED IT! We had a pita buffet tonight with two different pita recipes. Both were absolutely delicious. I was surprised that there are no bread crumbs in the meatloaf, but it came out just right. The seasonings are perfect and the sauce is delicious. In fact, I ended up making more of the sauce to use for dipping pita chips. I had to use roasted bell peppers rather than tomatoes because of the recall, I think they were the perfect accompaniment! Thank you for posting a keeper Sassy! Made for ZWT, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.