Great Eastern's Steamed Mussels
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I picked up a 2 lb. bag of live mussels in the supermarket and this is the recipe that was on the package. I prepared it using beer (you could use wine or beer). I would even add lemon juice and maybe some red pepper flakes next time.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, sliced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine, can use beer
- 1 bay leaf
- lemon peel, grated, to garnish
- fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Rinse mussels in cold water and discard any broken or open mussels.
- Saute onion, garlic, celery and bay leaf in the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute. (I think it needs a little more time to get the onion a bit cooked and I think some butter would also enhance the flavor.).
- Add the mussels, wine (or beer), and cook for about 4-5 minutes (covered) until the mussels open. Shake the pot occasionally while cooking.
- Serve in soup plates, garnished with lemon peel, parsley, broth and crusty bread for dipping.
- Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION