Gratin of Delicata Squash and Leeks
- Ready In:
- 1hr 9mins
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced leeks (2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only)
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs peeled and seeded delicata squash (8 cups) or 3 lbs butternut squash, sliced (8 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth or 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 400. Spray 11x7-inch ceramic or glass gratin dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle bottom with 1/4 cup of the panko.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-low heat until warm. Cook leeks and prosciutto 4-6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. (Add a little water if leeks start to scorch).
- Combine rosemary, salt and pepper in small bowl. Arrange half of the squash slices in baking dish; sprinkle with half of the rosemary mixture. Spread leek mixture over squash; top with remaining squash. Gently pour broth over squash; sprinkle with remaining rosemary mixture. Cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until squash is almost tender. (Gratin can be prepared to this point 1 day ahead. Cool slightly; refrigerate. Bake, covered, at 400 for 15 minutes before continuing with recipe). Sprinkle gratin with cheese. Combine remaining 1/4 cup panko and butter; sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender and top is golden brown.
- Tips: Deli ham or salami can be substituted.
Join The Conversation
Very easy and delicious! This would be a wonderful side dish to bring to a potluck/dinner party. Straight to the keeper file - so many of my favorite savory flavors here.<br/><br/>UPDATE: I have made this several times and it remains one of my favorite naughty (all that cheese and butter) squash recipes. It also works well with butternut squash.
Winter squash is often paired with sweet flavors, but it's also delicious when the sweetness of the squash is contrasted with savory herbs and a blanket of melted cheese. Use the slicing disk of a food processor to streamline preparation. I found this recipe in Cooking Club magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Square Meals Make Round People - Author Unknown <br /><br />Do It With Love---It Will Taste Better - Author Unknown <br /><br />I joined zaar in 2002 but I really didn't use it much on until 2006 after my computer crashed and I lost all my unsaved recipes. Now I post all recipes I've tried or would like to try. I'm actually making it my goal to try almost all the recipes I've posted as soon as I can. I love food and I love to eat and try different recipes. My favorite course is dessert. I love sweets! This leads me to that I did have Gastric Bypass surgery on July 25th 2008. On that note I love baking and cooking a priceless gift passed down from my grammy who I dearly loved and miss deeply. My grammy passed away 1/15/07. She was a wonderful cook and baker and taught me many things and the most valueable things was how to be a wonderful cook and baker like her. I really enjoy searching for new recipes especially here on Zaar. I'm always finding and adding to my cookbook new and exciting recipes. I also enjoy posting recipes here on Zaar as well. I really love collecting different cookbooks. I have over a 100 and growing! I collect mostly Taste Of Home & community cookbooks. The minute I get a cookbook home I sit down and I read my cookbooks from front to back like novels. I work for the Elmira City School District and YWCA. I'm raising my 8 yrs old newphew. I'm a part time college student studing Early Childhood Education, but taking time off and hoping to return soon. I live in Elmira, New York where famous writer Mark Twain did some of his writing and he once lived. I have 1 cats Samantha and 1 dog our newest member MOO MOO (my nieces dog) who are my children as I do not have any human children of my own. I lost four of my very dear children (kitty's) Callie June 2007, Miss Kitty in March 2010, my dog Angel in December 2010, and my other cat Chase in September 2011. I'm recently married on August 12th 2010. I love spending time with my niece 9 yrs old and my newphews 7 & 8 yrs old. I enjoy couponing and trading coupons. I love the internet as there's so much to look at online even though you know where I spend most of my time! I enjoy going to yard sales and estate sales every spring - fall. I love gardening and have many different pretty flowers.</p> <p><br /><br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC2.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/my3chefs2009final-1.jpg alt= /></p> <p><img src=http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy17/ZaarBrenda/Participation3-1.jpg alt=http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy17/ZaarBrenda/Participation3-1.jpg /></p> <p><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/blacktoesPAC2011.png alt= /><br /><br />My Star Ratings: <br /><br />1 * star rating is my family did not like it and we will not make it again. <br /><br />2 ** star rating is my family thought it was ok and we might or might not make it again. <br /><br />3 *** star rating my family liked or really liked it and we probably will make it again. <br /><br />4 **** star rating is my family loved or really loved it and we will have it again. <br /><br />5 ***** star rating is my family thinks it's outstanding and we could have it again tomorrow. <br /><br />No star rating is my family has not tried it but would like to try it.</p>