Granny Smith Brownies (Blondies)
Haven't tried these because of the amount of sugar in them, but will try with Splenda, or a combination of Splenda and sugar. Remember to adjust cooking time if using Splenda. Time does not include cooling time.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups granny smith apples, peeled and chopped (1 lb)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (or 1 cup pecans)
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (or 3/4 cup craisins)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 15 1/2x10 1/2x 1 inch jelly-roll pan.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Whisk oil and eggs in another large bowl until blended and smooth. Stir in sugar and vanilla.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until blended. Stir in apples, nuts and raisins or Craisins. Mixture will be very stiff.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes until top is golden and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 40 squares.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Oh these are so good. I wanted to make these more diabetic friendly, so I swapped out the sugar for splenda and the oil for applesauce, which really went quite well with the apples in the mix already! I used craisins and pecans too. They didn't set up quite as firmly as I'd like to have had them, but with the changes made, it is to be expected. I will be making these next Tuesday night for a church group that is focusing on living healthy. I think it will turn a few heads when they see this dessert heading their way! Made and Reviewed for Diabetic Tag - Thanks! :)
Wonderful recipe mikekey, we really enjoyed these brownies. I did use chopped pecans and golden raisins since that is what I had on hand. The amount of sugar did raise an eyebrow but like the other reviewer mentioned they were not overly sweet at all. I think craisins would be very tasty and will give them a try next time. Made and reviewed for Please Review My Recipe tag game.