Granny Smith Apple Cobbler
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In 'Sweet Auburn Desserts' by Sonya Jones
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°; butter a deep 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Place the sliced apples in a large bowl and sprinkle them with lemon juice.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, and sugar together in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over the apples and toss gently to coat.
- The dough: In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder; cut in the shortening using a pastry blender until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Add the milk and stir with a fork.
- Form the dough into a ball and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to a size that is 1/2 to 1 inch larger than your baking pan.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared dish and dot with the pieces of butter.
- Place the dough over the top of the apple filling and seal the edges.
- Cut vents in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes; decrease oven temperature to 375° and bake for another 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is lightly browned on the top and the apples are tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION