Grandpa Slabaugh's BBQ Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Mix all together and bring to a boil over the stove just to dissolve salt and mix flavors.
- Dip each piece of chicken in sauce and place on hot grill.
- (NOTE: do not store any sauce that has come into contact with the chicken. If not using all of the sauce at one cooking, separate what you want to store from what you will be cooking with.).
- Baste intermittently as the chicken cooks.
- Direct flame will brown the chicken more than cooking NOT directly over the fire (indirect).
- Chicken will be juicier if you cook indirect however, so I normally will move the chicken on and off the direct flame, rotating them for even cooking. This helps to brown each piece but doesn't dry out the chicken. Using this method I normally cook the chicken 45 - 60 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I spent my first 30 years in Elkhart Coutny Indiana east of Waukarusa, Indiana and I have tried all of the Nelsons look alike recipes out there and you my dear have a golden glow treasure here....it is spot on from what I remember.....thank you for sharing...it is going into our family archive now, as we make this during every family chicken cookout....
Thanks for the recipe! This was a very simple and fast recipe. I halved the recipe. I think this was more of a marinade rather then a BBQ sauce. It was very simple to put together. I think it had a bit too much vinegar and oil for my tastes. I would reduce the amounts prior to making again. Thank you for the recipe! Made for PAC Orphanage Spring 08
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg> <br> <br>I am a 58 year old business woman who owns two insurance agencies. Don't ask me how that happened since I was a home economics major in high school! I still love to cook and recipezaar is helping me make the time to try new ideas for a break from the day to day activities of running a business. Thank you! <br> <br>I've been in the insurance business since 1974, and my husband has recently joined my agency as well. Between us my husband and I have 5 children and 7 grandchildren. We live on the St. Joe river and we love pontooning and fun with the family on any occasion. <br> <br>Also, I can't leave out the two 4-legged friends of the family, Bogey our English Bulldog, and Reagan, our Lhasa Apso, both male and both spoiled of course! <br> <br>Cooking and grilling in the summer are things we all look forward to whenever we are all together. It's just plain fun to spend time together whenever we can. <br> <br>I started collecting cookbooks when my grandmother passed away. She had many old old cookbooks complete with her hand written notes, new special recipes she clipped out of different publications and yes, a few stains as well. I'd hate to think how much I've spent collecting different newer cookbooks over the years, and keeping them under control has always been a big problem for me. Recipezaar help me to categorize and capture the really important ones which I'm very grateful for.