Grandma's Split Pea Soup
After any family ham dinner, my grandmother, and then my mother, and finally me, always use the hambone to make this hearty, home-y soup.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 lb split peas (yellow or green)
- 10 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 lb ham bone (can substitute smoked ham hocks)
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil slowly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thick.
- Remove bone, skin, and any fat.
- Chop meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Season to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have never made or so much as seen split pea soup before but, wow! One of my friends always raves about how good it is so thought that I'd give it a try. I really enjoyed it. I suppose that due to the coloring, no one else would even try it but, whatever...their loss! ;) This was so easy to put together. I used 2 ham hocks and followed the ingredient list perfectly, seasoning with salt and pepper at the table. This is a keeper. Thanks so much for posting!