Grandma's Spicy Applesauce Cake
Grandma used to bring this cake to picnics and potlucks. It travels well, keeps well, and holds together if you're eating with your fingers. My mother makes it for my father's birthday every year.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Dust raisins in cocoa and set aside.
- Mix in dry ingredients and applesauce.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Grease and dust a 9" tube pan or bundt pan with cocoa.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 70-80 minutes, until cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Frost with Glossy Chocolate Icing #90756.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
If you really want grandma's recipe, look no further! I never thought I'd duplicate my own granny's recipe, but this is it. For extra moist cake, wrap in plastic wrap then foil while the cake is still hot. This recipe is now going to be a Holiday favorite in my house. Thanks so much for sharing! P.S. I skipped the cocoa, added more raisins and used half apple butter and half cinnamon applesauce.