- Ready In:
- 4hrs 40mins
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 lb butter (4 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 eggs
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1⁄2 cup very warm water (not too hot, see yeast package)
- 6 cups flour (approximately)
- 1 lb golden raisin (mixed with flour to prevent sticking)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or mixture of white and brown sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Warm milk over low heat until scalded (soft bubbles form around edge of pot) but not boiling.
- Add butter and remove from heat.
- Mix in sugar, salt, nutmeg and vanilla. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast into water in 2 cup measure,
- stir in 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Let stand undisturbed to “proof” about 10 minutes.
- Add eggs to milk mixture, one at a time, beating well.
- Add yeast-in-water mixture.
- Add flour with raisins.
- Knead dough 5 minutes, adding extra flour as needed.
- Placed kneaded dough into greased pan and grease top of dough to prevent it from drying out. Keep warm to rise until double, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Knead dough again (for 5 minutes) and put into greased loaf pans. Let rise 1 to 2 hours again.
- This recipe makes approximately 1 bunt, 2 large and 2 small loaf pans.
- Crumble topping ingredients together.
- Add topping to bread in loaf pans.
- Preheat oven and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- Bread is done when tester comes out clean.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!