Grandma Fritz's Sauerbraten (For the Crock Pot)
- Ready In:
- 120hrs 30mins
- Combine onions, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, vinegar, and water.
- Arrange meat in a covered earthenware or Tupperware container and pour pickling solution over the top of the meat.
- Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days (the longer it marinades, the more flavor soaks into the meat).
- Turn the meat once or twice a day.
- Remove the meat from the solution and pat dry.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Strain and reserve the onions.
- Put a little oil (I like to go light, if I can, and use extra virgin olive oil or Canola, but you can use a couple of tablespoons of butter) in a skillet and heat and cook reserved onions until they are transparent, but not brown.
- Remove onions and brown meat on all sides in the same oil.
- Place onions and meat in a slow cooker/crock pot and fill the crock pot with a cup of the pickling solution.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the meat is cooked through and tender.
- When meat is done, remove to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add any remaining marinade to a skillet.
- Add brown sugar, raisins, crumbled ginger snaps (I pound these out in a Ziploc bag to crush them).
- Stir and cook until the sauce is smooth and has thickened--about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the sauce over the slices of meat and put the remainder of the sauce in a gravy boat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an ordained minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) who is taking a couple of years off from parish ministry to stay at home, write, and raise my twin toddler children. My wonderful husband works in publishing as a senior development editor. Our schedules are pretty hectic, so I'm always on the lookout for healthy, easy, and fast recipes--especially one pot meals.