Grandma Drew's Potato Salad Dressing
Before commercial mayonnaise was available, my Grandmother used this sauce to make her cherished Potato Salad. It is a very-low fat alternative to mayonnaise and tastes better than light mayo, too! Great for tuna, macaroni, or chicken salad, but you'll probably want to add a little mayo, also.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- In saucepan, mix all dry ingredients together.
- While stirring with whisk, gradually add water, vinegar and beaten egg.
- Heat on medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens to the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate up to 1 week.
- NOTE: When making Potato Salad, I use 3 parts Grandma's sauce and 1 part mayonnaise.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I grew up on this dressing for both potato & macaroni salad. It beats jarred mayo dressings all to pieces. I used this recipe for macaroni salad for this Christmas. *It's best to save a little dressing in a container until after the salad has chilled because the macaroni really absorbs it. Mix & then add more into the salad so it's not dry. Love, love it as potato salad as well. Merry Christmas folks!Reply
Excellent homemade dressing...... I added 3 egg yolks instead of one egg to the recipe for extra richness, and cut the sugar back to 2 tablespoons, and then mixed it with 1 cup of Hellman's mayo....I used it for chicken salad sandwich's.....my family loved it!......Thanks so much BeachGirl for sharing a wonderful recipe!Reply