Grandma Anna's Apple Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
It's Apple Season, here in Wisconsin! This recipe came from my wife's Grandma & is VERY GOOD...especially when served warm along with a good cup of coffee!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup shortening (I use plain CRISCO)
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup sour milk (I use buttermilk)
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored & diced (Cortland or McIntosh)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease or spray a 9 X 9 cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream the shortening sugars & eggs together.
- In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add to the creamed ingredients, alternately with the sour milk.
- Beat on medium-high until smooth.
- Fold in the diced apples.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Mix together 1 teaspoons cinnamon, ½ cup white sugar & ¼ cup light brown sugar. Spinkle evenly over top of cake.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick, inserted in the center comes out clean.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a wonderful cake! I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 Copha for the shortening. Next time I think I will try all butter as I'm not so keen on the hydrogenated fat in shortening. I also cut out all the white sugar in the topping. This recipe made a huge cake which stayed moist to the end. Thanks so much!Reply